From the NGSX Research Team
Blog Posts, Commentaries, Interviews
- Moon, J., Michaels, S., & Reiser, B. J. Science standards require a teacher-learning rethink. Education Week 11/20/12.
- Passmore, C. Implementing the Next Generation Science Standards: How your classroom is framed is as important as what you do in it. NSTA Blog, 11/10/14.
- Interview with Brian Reiser: Why Do Schools Need New Science Standards. Northwestern News 1/5/2015.
- Brian Reiser quoted in Education Week, W.Va, Wyo. Debate Climate Change Mentions in Science Standards 1/16/2015
- Education Week Blog Post on Reiser's NSTA presentation, Making Sense of the World with Science and Engineering Practices 3/13/2015
- Moon, J. & Michaels, S. Is Today's Video-Based PD Missing the Picture? Education Week Teacher, 3/2/16
- Reiser, B. J. (2013). What Professional Development Strategies Are Needed for Successful Implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards? Invitational Research Symposium on Science Assessment, K-12 Center at ETS.
- Moon, J., Passmore, C., Michaels, S., & Reiser, B. J. (2014). Beyond Comparisons of Online Versus Face-to-Face PD. Journal of Teacher Education, 65(2), 172-176.
- Michaels, S. & O'Connor, C. (2015). Conceptualizing Talk Moves as Tools: Professional Development Approaches for Academically Productive Discussions. In Resnick, L.B., Asterhan, C. and Clarke, S.N. Socializing Intelligence through Talk and Dialogue. Washington DC: American Educational Research Association, pp. 333-347.
- Reiser, B. J. Michaels, S., & Moon, J. (2013). A next generation exemplar system for professional development. AERA, San Francisco.
- Reiser, B. J. (2014). Designing Coherent Storylines Aligned with NGSS for the K-12 Classroom. NSELA, Boston, MA.
- Reiser, B. J., Michaels, S., Moon, J., Passmore, C. (2014) NGSX: Cyber-enabled support for teacher investigation of the shifts in classroom teaching required by NGSS. NARST, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Reiser, B. J., Michaels, S., Moon, J., Passmore, C. (2015) Design strategies for cyber-enabled support for implementing NGSS. NARST, Chicago, IL.
- Reiser, B. J., Michaels, S., Moon, J., Passmore, C. (2015) Supporting teacher learning of next generation science and pedagogy through cyber-enabled teacher study groups. AERA, Chicago, IL.
Framework and NGSS Resources
National Research Council and NGSS
- A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas
- Developing Assessments for the Next Generation Science Standards
- Next Generation Science Standards Download
- Next Generation Science Standards Online
Resources to Support NGSS Implementation
- STEM Teaching Tools: Tools to support NGSS as part of STEM teaching. Tools focus on a specific issue and leverage the best knowledge from research and practice.
- Tools for Ambitious Science Teaching: Helpful tools and examples to support scientific practices and discourse in the classroom from the University of Washington.